One of the most well known dishes at American Thanksgiving celebrations is pumpkin pie. This is usually something new, fun and delicious for exchange students to try at the holidays with their host families.
Here’s a recipe you could try at home for your holiday meal. Enjoy!
You don’t need to buy a prepared crust or filling to make a quick, easy pumpkin pie. This basic recipe starts with a simple press-in crust, so there’s no need for a rolling pin. The filling is made with canned pumpkin purée, spices, eggs, and condensed milk so it only takes a few minutes to mix together. And after an hour in the oven, you’ll have a proper pumpkin pie to end Thanksgiving dinner.
Game plan: This pie can be made and refrigerated up to 1 day in advance. Let it come to room temperature before serving.
For the crust:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
For the pie:
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pie mix)
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
For the crust:
- Stir the butter, oil, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl until evenly combined. Add the measured flour and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Sprinkle the dough in small clumps over the bottom of a 9-1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the plate (flour the cup or your fingers occasionally to prevent sticking). Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
For the pie:
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the lower third. Place a baking sheet on the rack while the oven is heating.
- Place all of the ingredients except the whipped cream in a large bowl and whisk until smooth and combined. Pour into the chilled pie crust.
- Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and bake until the top starts to brown and the filling is set but still jiggles slightly in the center, about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven to a wire rack and let cool completely before serving. Top slices of the pie with whipped cream, if desired.
- Recipe Of The Week: Easy Pumpkin Pie (k1047.cbslocal.com)
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes (deliciousonadollar.com)
- Yummy Healthy Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes (Gluten, Fat, and Sugar Free) (rivermoda.wordpress.com)
- Eat Fit Not Fat- Pumpkin Pie (2fatnerds.com)
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie (healingthroughcreation.wordpress.com)
- Thanksgiving is a big deal (premiertaaltraining.nl)