Advent is a celebration in the Christian religion that begins the fourth Sunday before Christmas and ends on Christmas Eve. Some American families celebrate this and students may share in this with them.
Families of Germanic and Nordic traditions may count down the days until Christmas with an Advent Calendar. These begin on December 1st and have small windows to open for each day of Advent. Each window may contain a surprise, such as a piece of chocolate. Some may only contain pictures, poems or something religious in nature.
Learn more about the observance of Advent here.
Make your own Advent calendar!
Does your family have any special Advent traditions or activities to share?
- Austrian Christmas Traditions (cultureandtradition1.wordpress.com)
- Advent 1 (scharment.wordpress.com)
- Handmade Advent Calendar (mouhoxlab.com)
- DIY Advent Calendar! (scrappingwonders.com)
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Advent (examiner.com)
- What are Advent Calendars and How Did They Come to be? (socyberty.com)
- 8 things you may not know about Advent (w/video) (victoriaadvocate.com)