From ‘bothán,’ meaning ‘hut’ or ‘cabin,’ the word refers to the act of going around the neighbours’ houses, collecting gossip or stories.
Think you don’t speak Irish? Think again….(siobhanmcnamara.wordpress.com)
An Foclóir Beag (sonyakelly18.wordpress.com)
How I Learn Irish Gaelic Online (irishnashville.com)
Raidió na Gaeltachta (sonyakelly18.wordpress.com)
Seachtain na Gaeilge 2014 (donegalgathering.com)
In the spirit of Thanksgiving being right around the corner, here’s how to say “Thank You!” in the languages of our EF Foundation exchange students!
thank you note (Photo credit: woodleywonderworks)
Hopefully, none of our exchange students are feeling this way!
- 11 Untranslatable Words From Other Cultures (buzzfeed.com)
- Dépaysement (kirstenlgoldstone.wordpress.com)
- Does Not Translate (travelbetweenthepages.com)
- Dépaysement (peter-panning.com)
- 11 untranslatable words (matadornetwork.com)
Conscious non-action. It’s a deliberate, and principled, decision to do nothing whatsoever, and to do it for a particular reason.
wuwei (Photo credit: Lefteris Koulonis)
a person who helps you get a job you’re interested in and “brings you in” to a position; a combination of angel and mentor.
Swiss Dialect (Photo credit: Kecko)
Voorpret (Dutch) = The feeling you have just before you are about to do something fun
This is probably the same feeling our students have before embarking on their year-long adventure of living in the USA!
Voorpret en grootte woorden! (Photo credit: @martius)
Be a hero and accept an exchange student into your home; we have students still available for full-year placement, as well as half year beginning in January and even for next school year. Let one of them experience the feeling of voorpret!
Fill out the form below for more information and an EF representative will contact you within 24 hours.
- The Beauty of Linguistics (forgivememynonsense.wordpress.com)
- When you end up talking another language with your kids… (expatsincebirth.com)
- Day 10: The Hague (dianayichucao.wordpress.com)
- Eating Dutch food in Amsterdam (wanderinggraduate.wordpress.com)
- You already speak Dutch! (aspiestory.wordpress.com)
- Words matter… (meginmunich.wordpress.com)